Saturday, April 16, 2005

A poem about unrequited love!

From the archive of memories:

An image that beckons to me, a silhouette on the sand,
An oft recurring déjà vu, I reach out- to gather…..mere emptiness in my hands;
A mystical laughter, that mesmerizing gaze-
Spellbound by hypnotic eyes, driven on a wild goose chase.

I call for you in all directions, from the middle of this void,
Smouldering in a cold fire, I look up to the skies;
You haunt me in my dreams, but vanish just as I open my eyes,
You offer me dreams of paradise, yet desert me on the wild.

Despite being your source of solace, why subject me to this cruel irony?
Dispel this despair enshrouding, subdue this agony.
For, this is what I hope against hope, battle against time-
Why am I paying this penance, have I committed any crime?

A thirst unquenched, a soul unkempt, and teardrops in weary eyes,
Prying eyes unnerving, an ever increasing yearning, and flickering is that old fire;
A smile forgotten, a rickety, forlorn sigh, is all I’ve left with me
First fate tricks, and now, are you trying to play games with me?

And wait will I, just as I had been, waiting unto death,
Shed if you please, some tears, when I’d draw my last breath;
And fade will I, first, into dust, then, from your memories, into the oblivion
And dwindle into a twinkle, an insignificant little star, far, in the horizon.

But if you thaw, somehow, glance back for a certain someone,
You would notice me waiting, outside your hallowed portals of heaven;
And ages hence, when still the winds would blow, and rivers would flow-
In this same month of spring,the breeze may decide to sing-
The trees too, with the breeze, may echo our stories,
And then, you & I would be- two frozen footprints in the archive of memories!

No comments: